View Single Post
Old 20th September 2009, 07:09 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I don't think some BD player owners realise they are still very much in the minority and will be for some time to come.I have a full HD TV and a Blu-ray player incorporated into a Sony laptop and, in future, I will only fork out for films I really love on Blu-ray and the rest (the majority) on SD DVD.I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on Arrow's DotD set and watching the theatrical cut on Blu-ray and the Argento cut, extended version & extras on SD DVD.
I understand BD player owners are obviously in inferior number to DVD owners (although the number of owners is quite larger than most of you seem to think it is), but I don't see what that has to do with anything. This is a Blu-Ray release, and the BD owners should be the main "target", not people who still haven't bought the player. The same way the main "target" for DVD releases are DVD owners.
It's nothing against the DVD format. Before I bought a BD player, when a film received BD and DVD releases I would obviously pick the DVD release, because it's the one I could play. Now that I own a Blu-Ray player, I choose the better option available to me, which is Blu-Ray.

I don't think BD releases should have to make concessions by making part of the content available on DVD, so that people who still haven't purchased a BD player can have something to watch in the meantime. There should be a proper distinction between DVD releases and BD releases, and not "hybrids". In a few years, when you all buy a BD player, you will obviously wish these concessions weren't made. What's stopping DVD owners from purchasing the film on DVD, and later, when they indeed "upgrade", they can pick up the BD release if they wish to? Why buy a release in a format they still don't own, and only having access to part of the content?

And Splatterdragon73, I hope your comments regarding the "DVD bashing" weren't for me. I didn't bash the DVD format, it served me well until the new, better format was available (and I still purchase DVDs). But if there's a better way to present films for home video, and it's something I can access, I obviously prefer the better option. If anything, since many still haven't bought a BD player, it's the BD format that's being bashed a bit, and it's importance minimized. I remember the same thing happening with the DVD format...

stevoj, you're right: I don't understand why people keep insisting that upscaled content is identical to proper HD. Unless the BD is a SD source upcaled and put on a BD disc, there's a huge diference in detail.
I'm guilty of saying the same thing before I actually bought a player and saw it with my own eyes, but the difference between formats is huge. I recently watched Peter Sellers' Pink Panther, and I was blown away with the marvelous visual quality of the disc.