View Single Post
Old 14th October 2014, 10:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

DERANGED - Frankie's Poundland adventures continue with 'Deranged', which, needless to say, isn't the Alan Ormsby classic, and isn't all that deranged either. It probably doesn't feature very often on Craig Fairbrass's resume - need I continue? OK, well actually, it's not all that bad, but those looking for a novel plotline won't be happy - three foul mouthed Brit women team up with their college chum in the latter's Spanish villa and, before they can get down and party, bad stuff unfolds in a slasher cliché fashion. Maybe that's a bit unfair, as 'Deranged' does try to play it a bit twisty, but its narrative and aesthetic essences are summed up by the DVD cover. Anyway, there are some plus points which push it up a couple of notches - the ridiculous 'death of the host' scene, where one of the Brit chicks flounces around on E and ends up shagging a stripper, Craig Fairbrass going cockerny overkill in a room full of dismembered doll parts, some nicely bad acting by murderer girl. But it's all a bit lite at the end of the day. Will I ever watch it again? I doubt it, but there are far worse pick ups out there in the Poundland.

I also got hold of 'Sleep Tight' for a princely £1, which I was really pleased about - I watched it on Lovefilm originally, and have to say that it was one of the best horror tinged thrillers I'd seen in a while. I won't review it again, but do get hold of it if you clock it in a £land near you, it really is a good film.