View Single Post
Old 19th October 2014, 11:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Also watched this bunch over the last couple of days, which I won't review 'properly' as none of them inspired me all that much. Visiting my folks' with nothing to do apart from edit my awful so-called 'music' and avoid the local pub due to sinister liver bulge, so I'm in the middle of a DVD blitz...

DARK CITY - Very good noir sci-fi which is visually stunning and features ace Richard O'Brien in cadaverous good form. However, I didn't really get into it - I could see the quality, but not feel the width if that makes sense. Maybe I was a little distracted.

THE KISS OF A KILLER - Another poundland pick-up. Not really fussed. Something about the reincarnation of a Hungarian serial killer. People hang around in a hotel. Not bad, but too bland, goes in bin.

THE LAST SEVEN - Yet another £land purchase. Did I really expect it to be anything other than a ninety minute stretch of tedium? Actually, there are some good ideas in this ultimately Owl Creek-esque tale of a depopulated London and divine retribution, but even Danny Dyer as a celestial avenger couldn't make it work.

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - I liked it, but my version looked crummy. Maybe it was my laptop. As the film is for the greater part about imagery and visuals, I found my mind resisted the overtures of the rubbish PQ, but left me a mental note to get a better version at some point. Also noticed acting largely rubbish for such esteemed company.

REC 2 - Good solid follow on from the first, which I don't have anything bad to say about. However, by the time I came round to it I was feeling a bit undernourished after forcing myself through the poundland duo I've already mentioned and was really in the mood for something of 'Runaway Nightmare' type proportions to ease the blight, so didn't enjoy it as much as I normally would've.