View Single Post
Old 20th October 2014, 01:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

FAUST: LOVE OF THE DAMNED - Brian Yuzna's adaption of a comic book I know nothing about. It starts out as mediocre, but thankfully soon regresses to complete idiocy. Not even Yuzna's typically flat, workmanlike direction can stem the tide of utter ridiculousness crashing here on the shores of viable cinema. Recounting the plot is a bit pointless, but it's basically about a guy who sells his soul to the devil (as in, er, 'Faust'), then becomes a sub-Wolverine type anti-hero with wavering hand-prong attack devices (for those not into Goethe, this wasn't a feature of the original). A load of gore, sleaze and bad taste moments happen. Ah, bad taste moments... there are a few. Seriously, not even Brian Yuzna could mess up on a subplot concerning the female lead's childhood recollections of the highly inappropriate advances of a slime zombie. Also, ever wanted to see a naked Jeff Combs being forced to swallow a snake? It's all yours, if you want it. Yuzna has made a couple of goodish films, some average ones and a few pretty bad ones, but 'Faust' is simultaneously his zenith and his nadir. Genius, really. This stupid film would grow on me even more if I could be arsed to ever watch it again.