View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2014, 10:40 AM
Cult Addict

I have the Toshiba BDX 1200 for multi region discs. Also have a media player on my PC called Aurora that plays region A with little difficulty.

Last night I watched...

WRONG.

Second viewing. The film was itching in my brain so I needed to watch it again. Still non the wiser, an aburdist vision of modern suburban life and misplaced affection. Frankly its hilarious but odd in an unfathomable way that may irritate some. The fact that its pretty tough to get now, (I had to trawl marketplace on amazon.com to get it at a decent price) is an obvious drawback but a film worth watching.

NOTHING BAD CAN HAPPEN.

Apparently based on a real case, and made in a horribly matter-of-fact way that makes that claim sadly believable. This is a film about a naive young outcast who is a member of a group called the Jesus freaks. Young outcasts living in squats who have appropriated punk and anarchist iconography and used it in conjunction with an American brand of evangelical Christianity.
For many of its members it seems to be a passing phase, but for the main character its a very real belief that is put to test when he finds himself living with a family out in the suburbs. Things seem off at first and gradually get darker as the protagonist finds himself living as a slave in the family's garden. As the film progresses the situation gets even darker and the film goes into some pretty nasty territory as things escalate. Not the happiest viewing experience, (tonally think snowtown) but a rewarding and well crafted film nonetheless.

JENNIFER.

Looking for something a little lighter in tone I stuck the kino lorber/scorpion blu-ray of Aip's Carrie knock off.
Switching a deranged religious matriarch for a patriarch and swapping the suburban high school setting to an exclusive boarding school, Jennifer also swaps out the Telekinetic mayhem for snakes as Jennifer is tormented by high school bullies of an even nastier and more sadistic nature than in the DePalma film.
While not as well crafted as Depalma's horror, Jennifer is still an entertaining slice of horror from AIP. Perhaps Jennifer s switch from victim to revenger is not as convincing, and the end scenes with the snakes run dangerously close to silly. The film is still an entertaining slice of schlock that looks marvellous on blu-ray.