View Single Post
Old 4th November 2014, 08:40 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
The Exorcist - I've put this off for years. Why? Not because I was scared, but because I knew it would never live up to the scariest movie ever. Was it disturbing? Yes. Did it live up to the hype? Not a chance. Was it a very good movie though? Absolutely. Smart, chilling, well thought out and just all round satisfying to watch. At first I didn't understand the obsession (I know it has some fanatical fans on here), but in the end I quite enjoyed it and would certainly rewatch it. Easy 10/10, not many horror classics left to watch now (I think Carrie and The Fly remake and I've done all the major 70/80's. If anyone has any definitive lists of must watch absolute classics from those periods, major not obscure, that would be great. Also what's the opinion on the sequels for this?)
As I'm probably the most fanatical of fanatical fans here, I'm very glad you felt that way!

In terms of the sequels, Exorcist II: The Heretic is terrible, but watchable if you pretend it's a comedy (a little like Repossessed) and has nothing at all to do with Friedkin's masterpiece. The Exorcist III, on the other hand, is a very good and, at times, very scary horror film. It doesn't have the same intensity or verisimilitude and suffers because of some studio interference (Morgan Creek still need to make amends for that), but it is definitely one to add to your collection.