View Single Post
Old 6th November 2014, 08:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Rage (2010)

Mixing the basic plot lines of Spielberg's Duel and a typical home invasion movie, Rage is a film with a lot of ambition but lacking the budget, and i suspect the film making skills to pull it off.

It's commendable that the first hour is set solely on the streets of LA. However it's also here where the lack of budget really hurts as not an awful lot really happens. Yes there is a chase between bike and car of sorts, and lots of steely glares whilst pulled up at traffic lights, but because roads were clearly not exclusively for filming nothing truly dangerous, spectacular or indeed gripping actually takes place.

As the final third kicks off the film switches genres to home invasion. This section is hampered by poor editing, direction and script as it totally fails to create any tension, which, even the worst cases of the genre usually seem to pull off. Despite some nastiness including a rape, the film fails to grab you by the balls, so what should have proved taught and suspenseful ends up as a yawny ho-hum.

The only clever part of the film is the reveal of who the mad motorcyclist actually is. You've definitely got to pay attention at the movies beginning.
Agree with you about 'Rage', although I possibly liked it even less.
I was going to ask... I didn't really get the end at all. Exactly what is being revealed? I remember a 'meaningful', lingering flashback to the bit in the car park when he first pissed off the cyclist, but couldn't draw anything from this. I know we're probably not meant to do 'spoilers' here at Cult Labs, but I imagine this one isn't massively significant for most.