View Single Post
Old 18th November 2014, 07:31 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Coming from Mondo Macabro:

Quote:
Independent U.S. distributors Mondo Macabro have confirmed that they will release on Blu-ray Eckhart Schmidt's film The Fan (1982), starring Désirée Nosbusch, Bodo Steiger, and Simone Brahmann. The release is expected to arrive on the market in early 2015.

Teenager Simone appears to be like any other fan of a rock band. But soon her fixation on the band's lead singer "R" takes over her life. Simone walks out of school, breaks off with her friends and parents, and as if sleepwalking, somehow finds herself waiting for her idol as he appears on a TV show. As she sees him for the first time, she is speechless, unable even to ask for his autograph. He notices her and reaches out to touch her. Overcome with emotion, Simone faints; with that first touch, R's fate is sealed. He leaves the show, planning to take a vacation from the band, and takes Simone with him. Simone discovers the carefully styled world of which "R" is just another product. Simone wants nothing more to love and be loved by "R", but he takes her with machine-like coldness. She experiences their intimacy as a kind of slow motion nightmare, an encounter with a robotic creature, totally incapable of affection or emotion. Simone cannot accept the detachment of her idol, and when "R" walks out on her to join his friends, she plots her revenge. Simone plans the ultimate sacrifice of her god on the alter of her madness. She plans her ceremony, as exalted and romantic as it is horribly wonderful. The finale - pagan, quiet and anonymous, is at the spot where she first saw him. The police search for "R" – only Simone knows where he is, and she will give birth to him anew...

Special Features:

Interview with director Eckhart Schmidt
A great film with a great '80s electro soundtrack - a day one purchase for me (I was actually toying with the idea of buying the German Blu last night too, so now I'm glad I didn't!)