View Single Post
Old 27th November 2014, 10:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
There was me thinking you buy your films when you actually download them.
In the case of Dracula untold its like stealing dog leavings.

sonno Proffondo

Almost wordless modern Giallo similar in construction to Amer. Personally I preferred this as in spite of lower production values I felt it managed to capture more of the sleazy charm of the genre. Certainly I felt it was more successful in its purpose than the messy patchwork strange colour of your bodies tears.

Interstellar.

Great popcorn movie that falls somewhere short of classic status. Perhaps my second favourite sci-fi this year behind Guardians of the Galaxy. A controversial opinion perhaps but it lost me the minute it started talking about love as a measurable, quantifiable force that decades of physics were silly to miss because their not spiritual enough... bollocks.
It's got one of the best scores this year, looks phenomenal, is perhaps a little too long winded and up its own rectum to be enjoyable. Certainly not as good as Inception, Memento, Dark knight or the Prestige.
I salute its tribute to the pioneers of space flight and the need for humans to go into space (read Warren Ellis Orbiter which has some themes nicked in this film) I Think I preferred GOG because it made me want to go right out and watch it again, (rare for a popcorn flick to even impress Kermode! ) again not a bad film, just not a classic.

Royal space force.

Set in an alternate universe, this is a classic era anime film from a time when the Japanese did their own stuff in-house with hand drawn animation and beautiful character design and art. This ones a tale of a Pilot who didn't have the grades to get into the airforce so instead joins the space force, a ragged band of drop outs who dream of going into space. As the nation of Honnamise draws itself ever closer to war with it's neighbour and military spending grows for weapons of mass destruction, the space forces rocket offers a symbol to mankind of a better way to use its resources other than killing. Beautifully made and still as poignant as it was when I caught it on VHS many, many years ago the blu-ray is a beautiful restoration of a genuine classic (know also as wings of the honnamise) I watched this one almost straight after a 4k screening of interstellar and personally I still prefer it.