View Single Post
Old 27th September 2009, 05:38 PM
Cult Rookie

I'd nominate So Sweet, So Dead, which is a really good and famous giallo that for some reason is still awaiting a dvd release anywhere in the world. Also, talking of Sylva Koscina films, Crimes Of The Black Cat, another comparitively well known title, which has only had one, bad worldwide dvd release. However, of all the gialli I've seen, the one most deserving of rediscovery is an obscure film called Deadly Inheritance, a relatively early (late 60s) rural thriller starring Femi Benussi (absolutely radiant here), which has certain similarities to the later Don't Torture A Duckling (namely its central theme of small town greed, repression and in-breeding).

I see that Code Red are finally doing a definitive release of Messiah Of Evil, one of the great American horrors, which has languished in public domain hell for too long. I hope that someone (and why not Shameless?) does the same for another personal favourite of mine, Silent Night, Bloody Night. Rarely has insanity been depicted in such a disturbing and believable way. And The Pyx, a great and brilliantly acted Canadian tale of black magic, starring Christopher Plummer and Karen Black, which has similarly suffered at the hands of el cheapo dvd labels.