View Single Post
Old 12th December 2014, 12:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
It's nearing the end of another year and so naturally thoughts turn towards what was good and bad about the past 12 months.

Although I expect perhaps 1 or 2 more visits to the cinema before the end of the year my current records show I visited the cinema 220 times in 2014. In the end I managed 12 festivals, visited 30 cinemas in 11 towns, 6 countries and 2 continents. A record for me.

Although Hollywood, with a couple of notable exceptions, continues to disappoint I still found a great deal to like in 2014, here is my current (it shifts day-to-day) top 20 in alphabetical order:

20000 Days I am still not sure what to make of this, but it is a brilliant showcase for Nick Cave's music and that is enough for me.

Bag boy, lover boy A hot dog vendor undergoes a mental breakdown as he is brought into the dark world of fetish modelling by an unscrupulous photographer.

Boyhood a decade and a half in the making. Linklaters vision and achievement are extraordinary.

Chocolate, strawberry, vanilla A lonely ice cream salesman suffers a mental breakdown with devastating consequences.

Cold in July Revenge thrillers don't come much better than this.

Creep Just when you thought that the last drop of freshness had been squeezed from the found footage/POV genre another comes along with something new to offer.

Escape from tomorrow Guerrilla filming at Disney in Florida as a man suffers mental collapse while on holiday with his family at the resort.

Grand Budapest Hotel Wes Andersons best film for some time.

Housebound - this played at almost every festival I attended, winning prizes at most of them and deservedly so.

I am a knife with legs a film that shows it is still possible to do something that is completely original with almost no money at all.

In order of disappearance Black humour the way only Northern Europeans can manage.

Lost Soul The heartbreaking story of Richard Stanley's attempt to transfer H.G. Wells Island of Dr Moreau to the big screen. An attempt which pushed him into the wilderness and deprived us all of his talents for far too long.

Metalhead A small but brilliant Icelandic film on the corrosive effects of grief that is not properly expressed.

Only Lovers Left Alive Jarmusch at the top of his game.

Strange colours of your body's tears This is a wonderful art house Giallo,

Thou wast mild and lovely another art house horror that builds an almost unbearable claustrophobic tension from small quiet moments.

Under the Skin My favourite film of the year and probably the best essay on what it means to be alien/human since Bowies turn in The man who fell to earth.

We are the Best three girls form a punk band in this sweet coming of age story.

What We Do In the Shadows Housebound may have won all the awards but WWDITS has the most LOL moments of 2014.

Wolf A tough young street kid learns what it is to be a man in the projects of a Dutch industrial city.

But of course my absolute film highlight of 2014 was the opportunity to see Goblin perform the Suspiria score live at Grimmfest.

Of the films I saw in 2014 the only one I would not rush to see again was the ill-conceived Tammy.

What were your favourite cinema releases in 2014?
Thats the great thing being on this site people bring you're attention to films , must admit never even heard of half of these .
Not seen that many from this year but Raid 2 was excellent and Maze runner was better than i was expecting .