View Single Post
Old 14th December 2014, 02:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
CHAINED – A killer abducts a kid and raises him as his own in this film from Jennifer Lynch. 'Chained' is heavy on claustrophobic ambience, but avoids playing obvious genre cards. This is after all a relationships movie, but of the feel-bad variety, and its emphasis is on the twisted father-son dyad at its core rather than murder and mayhem. It avoids being too graphic, but some scenes are brutal, particularly the ones which show the killer's messed up childhood. It's sustained by good, intense performances which feel real and ensure the tension flowing from the two main character's curdled dynamics never drops. I wasn't really into the imo ill-conceived and slightly lame 'twist' brought in to wrap things up, although the film ends on an interestingly ambiguous note. Maybe not quite as harrowing as some reviews seemed to suggest, but not far off, and it certainly doesn't fail to disturb. Recommended.
What did you think about the ending? I was quite involved with the film up to that point, however (and without going into details for fear of spoilers) the 'twist' ending seem so tacked on and unnecessary it spoiled a lot of the preceding events for me. An interesting film for sure though, but not something I'll be in a hurry to revisit again.