View Single Post
Old 20th December 2014, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
As for wheeling out Borowczyk out well i think its obvious you do that because you're a big fan and are justly very proud of what you managed to achieve with Arrows releases.

I'm a big fan of lots of people, but this particular filmmaker happens to be not only an ongoing project (and I very much hope Dr Jekyll won't be the last one), and a perfect illustration of what can be achieved by breaking with the convention that independent labels can generally only tackle titles for which existing rightsholder-created video masters are available.

And it's this last point that's the important one - and in this respect the Borowczyk releases are arguably the best current illustrations of what Arrow's current business model can produce, because they'd have been off limits until very recently. (And not just to Arrow: the BFI originally developed the project but ultimately baulked at the costs.)

I could of course use Mario Bava as another ongoing example, but I only worked on those releases (if at all) in a QC capacity, so I'm far less intimately involved with them.