View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2009, 08:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
'WE WILL NOT NEGOTIATE WITH COMPANIES WHO ISSUE A CUT VERSION' - That's good, these video nasties need to be released uncut, otherwise why bother.
I entirely agree.

Imo true horror fans generally want their films complete and if a particular label can't satisfy this demand then the import route is usually taken.

We all know when a popular title is censored in the U.K. then word DOES get around among fans and it sounds something like "This DVD is cut by the BBFC! Steer well clear and buy the full version off the 'net!!". Let's face it we've ALL done it at one time or another and many (or most) of us continue to do so if we can't get what we want on British shores. There's nothing wrong with wanting the best possible DVDs for your collection.

For instance, i doubt that ABUK's snipped print of Maniac sold many copies. We know why.
Maybe a select few uninformed devotees purchased a copy but those of us in the know chose to go for the uncut import DVDs available overseas.
I know i did. Allan Bryce was right when he commended ABUK on issuing Bill Lustig's gorefest in the U.K.
But Bryce was also correct when he asked "What's the point?" once word get's out the U.K. transfer is trimmed proper horror followers will understandably avoid this edition like the plague and quite rightly too.

Dedicated fans aren't stupid and generally know what they're looking for when it comes to their fave terror titles on R2 DVD.
If the U.K. version compares favourably with an import release then it's probably buy British. But the slightest hint of BBFC interference or cheap and nasty effort on the part of the distributor and we know which directions we have to look in!