View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2015, 11:41 PM
Cult Addict

Paranorman

para.jpg

I really enjoyed this,i'm a bit hit and miss with kids films, but i thought this was well made and entertaining.
It's pretty dark for a kids film and i could imagine some very young kids being frightened by it. Basically a young boy can see and speak to ghosts which are everywhere in town, everybody thinks he's weird, so he just keeps himself amused watching horror movies.
So first scene has him watching a zombie film with his dead grandmother, see what i mean about dark, there are a few references to horror films so you can tell the makers are fans, the kids ringtone is the Halloween theme.
But there's also a lot of humour which lightens the tone and some is quite black, at one point he has to retrieve a book from a corpse that won't let go of it, the corpse ends up falling on him with it's lolling tongue being draped over the kids face, and he repeatedly ends up banging the corpses head on a table to finally retrieve it.
The plot centres round a curse from a girl who was tried as a witch by the towns ancestors and wants revenge, this brings back to life the ancestors bodies who shamble about the town as zombies and it's up to Norman to save the day.
I thought the sets and figures were really well animated, if you think Coraline in terms of animation you're not far off although this isn't as weird.
If you like kids films that are a bit dark then this is well worth seeing.
Recommended 8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.