View Single Post
Old 13th March 2015, 07:46 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
What do you all think of his move into 'the mainstream'?
I don't know if I would call any Cronenberg mainstream, but certainly some of his recent films have been less controversial and better known than his earlier ones. Crash was despised by the BBFC, but curiously James Ferman was a big fan, but I'm guessing Reaper is referring to the 21st-century films with household name actors such as Viggo Mortenson, Julianne Moore, Keira Knightley, Robert Pattinson, Paul Giamatti, Samantha Morton, Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender and John Cusack.

If so, I have liked A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, A Dangerous Method, Cosmopolis and Maps to the Stars almost as much as Videodrome, The Fly and The Brood, marvelling at the way he is able to induce incredible performances from great actors and make incredibly powerful, disturbing and thought-provoking films so many decades after he stunned the Canadian Film Development Corporation with the taxpayer-funded Shivers.

David Cronenberg is probably my favourite director, with the only film of his I don't own being M Butterfly. Because I have incredibly high standards to his films, I would be one of the first to be disappointed and it's a testament to the quality of his recent films that I haven't watched one and felt let down.