View Single Post
Old 24th March 2015, 12:17 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Glad you liked it Dem. The problem with John Carpenter fans is we want him to find his mojo one last time and produce one more classic but I don't think that will ever happen, not dissimilar to Argento. Do you think it is a generational / era thing? 70's 80's Wes Craven, Carpenter, Argento, Stuart Gordon, Tobe Hooper et al; all maestros in their time but slowly lost the originality and ideas that made the classics we associate with them. I personally think it was because it was a time when horror fans like us could afford and pick up a camera for the first time and realise our awful dreams onto film, giving way to originality and non main stream ideas.

I liked this film and agree, I want to like every film he associates himself with. It has some stand out scary moments and the score is worth picking up even though its not JC's work.

I think there is a generational aspect because, as Mark Kermode recently argued, horror filmmakers now take their education from Halloween onwards rather than 10 years earlier:

As such, Carpenter is competing with people who are referencing his earlier work, making a clear dividing line between the two different types of films.