View Single Post
Old 1st April 2015, 08:43 AM
Cult Master

As promised/threatened a few posts ago, here is an Alice Cooper album-by-album, track by track discography. What I am going to try to do, is post at least one song every day, starting with the first album, and moving thru the entire discography, complete with my thoughts on the song, and any snippets of information I have regarding the track

So, lets go back in time to 1969, when the Alice Cooper Group released the 'Pretties For You' album. It is a real oddity baring few signs of what was to come. Showing the obvious influence of both Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa (on who's label it was orginally released) it shows a band still finding its legs but there are still some great tracks on offer. It is certainly not an essential purchase, but it is not as bad as some people would lead you to believe.

Dennis Dunaway still notes this as his favourite Alice Cooper record

Pretties For You was recorded in 1968, but not released until June 1969

Alice Cooper - Vocals and Harmonica
Neal Smith - Drums and Vocals
Dennis Dunaway - Bass and Vocals
Glen Buxton - Lead Guitar
Michael Bruce - Rhythm Guitar, Vocals, Piano and Organ

Producer Ian Underwood and Herb Cohen

The first two songs are linked. We first hear 'Titanic Overture', which is an instrumental, which leads into '10 Minutes Before The Worm'. The inspiration for the second song comes came from the old saying, The early bird gets the worm. But Dunaway would ask "Just how punctual was that bird? 5 minutes early? 10 minutes?"!

1/13/ Titanic Overture (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

Instrumental

2/13/ 10 Minutes Before the Worm (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

"Let me be
What a way for one too realise
Gotta waste a bore now I see
How he is so happy feeling sad

Heavily Depressed

God I knew
Think I will enjoy the view
-oy the view, -oy the view
Everything is standing still
...ill ...ill"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty