View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Warriors (1979)

A gang from Coney Island are blamed for the murder of the charismatic Cyrus. The leader of New York's most powerful gang - The Gramercy Riffs. The nine Warriors have to get home on foot through dangerous rival gang territory as the Riffs put a price on their heads.

Fast paced, controversial and most importantly a cracking yet simple story, The Warriors is one of cult director Walter Hill's best films. This was only my second viewing of it as i didn't particularly rate it when i first watched it. However, recent chats on here with staunch lovers of the film (Nordy & MTDS) made me want to watch it again.

I'm pleased they did as i got a lot more out of it second time round. Appreciating the film's subtleties and observations on life, not to mention it's killer soundtrack and influential dialogue.

The film is well acted. Michael Beck as Warrior leader Swan has a charismatic presence that holds the film together and his altercations with Ajax, played by the prolific James Remar, add to the tensions within the group. The various gangs they come across on their journey are all memorable especially David Kelly, best known for Commando (1985) and his Rogues. This time Sully was indeed killed last.

Perhaps not a great piece of cinema, The Warriors is definitely a cult classic and thoroughly deserves that status.
I think this must be one film ive watch so many times i lost count. Never get bored of it and watch it 2 3times a year. Def wiorth the cult staus just dont make gang etc films like anymore which is a bit sad really because to me this is a must watch and own film.