Old 23rd April 2015, 02:25 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The Arrow Films / Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
They also had zero interest in a couple of projects that I pitched to them circa 2011/12.

Three years later, they changed their minds, and I'm developing both right now.

Why? Because state-of-the-art 4K restorations had become available in the meantime.

Every recent conspiracy theory about Arrow needs to be assessed in the light of (a) their dramatic raising of technical standards post-2012, and the resulting increase in the number of masters being rejected (with certain types of film being disproportionally affected), and (b) their move into the US market post-2014, which has made it more feasible to go back to 35mm basics more of the time, thus allowing a reassessment of titles that had previously been rejected on technical grounds.

Ignore these factors and any over-arching theory about Arrow's post-2012 acquisition and release strategy is highly likely to be barking up the wrong tree.

I actually said on another forum that their decision to release a couple of these films now, was probably down to a few factors, including new restorations AND seeing the success other companies had with theses titles. As I said, I saw that the powers that be, weren't interested in the slightest in one of these titles before, and the reason wasn't about quality of the master, and now they are. That's all I'm saying. Nothing more, nothing less.