View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2015, 11:54 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BUG - I watched this for the first time yesterday on Netflix. Being a sort-of seventies horror completest, it was nice to catch something that had slipped through my flix net. 'Bug' is basically about some fire-causing insects and the effect they have on a small town. It features a standard set-up in many ways - aforementioned small town, scientist investigates, air of encroaching chaos. What interested me was the way in which 'Bug' evolved from playing out the usual sci-fi horror 'nature attacks' scenario into something darker and more intense. The last thirty or forty minutes show the scientist in isolation as he experiments on the bugs. The atmosphere becomes progressively more claustrophobic and angst ridden. The bugs start to communicate with scientist guy, and it feels like maybe a supernatural undercurrent creeps in. These scenes are full of foreboding, and leave a genuinely disturbing aftertaste. I liked 'Bug'. It met many of my requirements aesthetically too, with plenty of that seventies 'thing' in evidence ( I suppose in this case, 'thing' is best summed up by the TV movie-like feel of 'Bug' in places crossed with the jarring avant-garde electronic score.)
I'm guessing this isn't the brilliant William Friedkin film of the same name, based on the Tracy Letts play, with Harry Connick Jr, Ashley Judd, Michael Shannon! If it is, you have a very different interpretation of events than me!