View Single Post
Old 8th May 2015, 04:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
There are plenty of great directors pumping both innovation and passion into their craft - just look at some of the great horror films that we have enjoyed within the current decade alone: Berberian Sound Studio, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Cold Fish, Dream Home, Father's Day, Here Comes the Devil, I Saw the Devil, John Dies at the End, Julia's Eyes, Kill List, The Loved Ones, Lovely Molly, Maniac, Only Lovers Left Alive, Stoker, Tucker & Dale...(obviously this is a subjective list as it comprises of films that I personally consider to be 'great').

Unfortunately, Roth isn't one of them and instead thinks taking a tried and tested plot idea and adding loads of swearing, gore and pop culture references makes for a one hell of a 'cool' film. Tarantino also does this, but arguably to better effect as at least he has some skill behind the camera... I find that his films are also helped massively by the editing (and often the cast) too.

Horror is far from dead, but there are too many over-promoted lime-light hogging hacks (e.g. Roth, West, Wingard, Zombie) who perhaps push some of the more talented and more interesting directors into the background.

I guess it comes down to personal taste though. Roth's films have their audience, and are generally geared towards the US teen market with their appetite for cheap thrills, gore and tits. Despite the fact that certain sub-genres always seem to remain popular, horror audiences change and the films change with them.
Couldn't agree more. Anthony DiBlasi is one of those great directors who don't get a fair shake of the limelight. Dread (2009) for example, has plenty of gore, but a depth to it and is one of my favourites of recent years.