View Single Post
Old 12th May 2015, 06:49 AM
Cult Addict

Society

What begins as a tale of suburban paranoia among the wealthy and elite of Beverly Hills becomes something far, far stranger. Billy Warlock plays disaffected youth troubled by incestuous feelings, a sense that he doesn't belong and events that seem like they might be hallucination. When Brian Yuzna got the script for this it was a basic tale of a blood cult. Uninterested in making another straight ahead horror he did some re-writing and hired Japanese FX artist Screaming mad george to turn it into a mutating cannibal orgy inspired by the works of Salvador Dali. In all honesty YUZNA gives some flat direction here but the overall twisted weirdness of the piece really saves it. The final act really lingers in the mind. Arrows blu-ray release is excellent.

Island of death.

I'm pretty much going to bet that most people here have seen this twisted little picture, some probably hate it, others (me included) love it. In all honesty its not a scary picture, its not even offensive to me. Nico Mastorakis takes things so far in this film it actually goes to another place entirely and for me becomes something closer to black comedy. It's hard to imagine anyone empathising with the lead character, hes clearly nuts. His general hypocrisy and random acts of cruelty and violence seem like the actions of someone with severe impuls control issues. His sister/lover is pretty much submissive to his desires and as much as she is portrayed as a possible victim she certainly seems to get off on some of the killing.
Gorgeous transfer from arrow and some interesting extras. Sadly missing the commentary it has a four part documentary on the Films of Mastorakis that could cost you some money if you watch it!

Space Raiders.

Rodger Corman Sci-fi Epic that recycles sets, ships and even scores from previous films such as Battle beyond the planets. This one is more a kids film (albeit with numerous character deaths.) where a young kid stows away on a raider vessel and gets into adventures. Honestly its great fun and worth checking out.