View Single Post
Old 25th May 2015, 10:10 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Videodrome has never been released fully uncut in the UK. Neither has the BBFC ever demanded cuts.

The original releases were heavily cut by the distributor who basically assumed that it would be cut given the political climate in the UK at that time. James Ferman himself stated that he would have no problems passing the film uncut but the distributor had cold feet.
Eventually Europe and the UK got an "uncut" release in the form of the r-rated cut that loses some moments of violence. A lot of UK viewers (me included) assumed this was uncut.
The critrerion release however was the unrated version and contained more violence and was quite a revalation to me when I saw it.
Arrow are making a big deal because after the Shivers debacle a lot of punters dreaded the "uncut" release being that r-rated cut. Seems Arrow have the criterion transfer so its the first time the film has been passed uncut.
Only the rental tape (released mid-1980s) was cut by the distributor (CIC Video) - this practice was fairly common at the time because companies were desperately trying to avoid the attention of the DPP - other self-censored films from this time include HALLOWEEN III and THE DEAD ZONE.

As I mentioned in a later post, the first sell thru release (issued in 1990, I believe) was passed uncut but CIC had submitted the R-rated version. There was even mention on the cover of this version including additional footage but obviously it was far from being uncut.

That UK Pioneer LD was definitely uncut - whether or not Pioneer submitted it to the BBFC or not, or if it is simply a case of the Board having to record for this (as I mentioned, it came out 1996/1997) for whatever reason, the uncut version did have a UK release - it was quite a cause for celebration back then - I sat beaming as I watched it