View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Invaders from Mars (1986)

Classic sci-fi romp from cult director Tobe Hooper which is in fact a remake of an earlier effort from 1953.

Hooper's direction is excellent, building suspense from the first minutes, giving the film a relentless pace throughout. It has a very creepy atmosphere, full of foreboding. It's only in the final third that it drops with the introduction of the invaders. Their outward appearance, that of a headless chicken with teeth, seen nowadays is almost comical, meaning the excitement levels drop when they should be at a maximum.

Controversially i think this is probably Hooper's best film to date.
I watched this a few years back and quite enjoyed it, it had some really bad reviews that i think stem from kids who remember the original fondly. i like the original but enjoyed Hoopers remake.

Best film to date no, sorry mate. Texas Chainsaw for me is the pinnacle of horror, totally shits all over The Exorcist in my opinion.
Also i probably like Poltergeist a bit more but that may be due to nostalgia, even more so Salem's Lot which is my second favourite Hooper envisioning, wow that's a big word after 8 beers, think i need a lie down now.
Also Lifeforce needs 2 be taken into consideration due to the madcap crazy nude space vampire shenanigans.

Still like u say, Invaders is well worth a watch, Karen Black n all that.
Someone else mentioned a double bill with Strange Invaders i think. (or did i dream it.?!!) if not then i also enjoyed that too, if i did imagine it then slap me with a kipper.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.