View Single Post
Old 5th July 2015, 01:40 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Just finished Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Highly recommended.
A truly great book, which I two or three times and get out of each time.

I'm not sure if I have mentioned these, but the last books I read were:

To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
Orange Is the New Black – Piper Kerman
Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck
Dead Until Dark – Charlaine Harris

To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men will probably draw groans from those who were forced to read them at school but, because I didn't, and had only read Steinbeck's book once before (when I was 10 or 11 years old), was able to go to them relatively fresh

I'd seen the film version of To Kill a Mockingbird several times, so was pleasantly surprised by how much material is in the book and how much deeper the character development is, with the length giving opportunity for exploration of other people in the town and how they relate to Scout and her family over the duration of events (several years), which is much longer than in the film adaptation.

I've had the first 10 of The Southern Vampire Mysteries series on the book shelf for a couple of years so, after doing some reading for University, decided to read the first one and finished it in two days. I thought it was brilliantly written, especially considering how the mystery in that book wasn't a mystery because, because I've watched the TV adaptation several times, I knew what was going on. I normally come down on one side of the fence with books and the adaptations, but really liked the book and like the changes made for True Blood equally.