View Single Post
Old 13th July 2015, 08:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Lovely Molly (2011)

Former nut-job and now newly wed Molly moves back to her old home with her new hubby after the death of her parents. Suspecting him of having an affair she sneaks around with a video camera secretly filming the evidence, before finally killing him.

All the time we are told Molly is going back to her old hard drug habits, but is actually being possessed by her deceased father. It takes an age to get to the vague finale as a naked Molly is hugged by some sort of spirit or demon or maybe even a giant rabbit, then the film ends. Films with ambiguity, especially in the horror genre are often the best but not in this case.

At times Lovely Molly is rather good but frequently it is so frustrating and let down by the writing. The amount of times someone says to her "Are you ok, you should see a doctor" you feel the need to bang your head against a wall. For a horror film it's neither creepy nor scary either. However the film's main flaw was Molly herself. I was never drawn towards her, i never found her sympathetic and ultimately had no interest in her predicament, making the films themes of addiction, psychosis and possession all the more redundant.
I love 'Lovely Molly', thought it was a great film.