View Single Post
Old 18th July 2015, 10:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Put on the 1955 Hammer flick The Quatermass Xperiment last night. Turned it off after just over halfway through - just really, really boring and poorly done. I was beginning to regret blind-buying the Blu ray, but the disc comes with two "extras" in the form of two other full-length 50s Hammer flicks, Quatermass II and X The Unknown. In desperation, I slapped on the latter - and I'm glad I did!
I had a whale of a time with X The Unknown. An earthquake opens up an enormous - and seemingly bottomless - fissure in the earth, from which emerges a Blob-like energy creature that feeds on radiation and is itself radioactive - and it starts leaving a trail of bodies across the English countryside. Leo McKern stars in this hugely entertaining B movie horror flick that felt very much like a 1950s Doctor Who story (if there was such a thing!). It was fast-paced, fun, atmospheric and funny and I also had fun playing spot the 60s/70s Doctor Who actors (Wow, it's a young Kenneth Cope! Blimey, it's Edwin Richfield! Holy cow, it's Sam Seeley from Spearhead from Space! ****, it's an 11 year old Fraser Hines!).
Really fun. The B-list "extra" was way better than the main feature!