View Single Post
Old 19th July 2015, 10:26 AM
Cult Addict

Doctor Mordrid

Jeffrey Combs plays Doctor Stran... sorry doctor MORDRID in a 'homage' to Marvel comics Dr Strange. Mordrid's evil bro, played by musclebound Brian Thompson has escaped his mystical prison in order to destroy humanity and only one man can stop him!
Not one of Full moons more successful pictures, Mordrid is still great fun. Like with a lot of the stuff Charles Band was pumping out around this time the sets are fantastic and the effects work holds up with a great deal of charm. It's a diverting 90 minutes of comic book action with a nice bit of full frontal nudity thrown in because what the hell. A few edits however and this would actually make decent family viewing.

Nemesis.

Low budgeter from Albert Pyun that does futuristic sci-fi with clever use of location and some great camera and editing to make the whole thing feel more expensive than it actually is. Nice to see Brion James turning up and sporting another Ludicrous accent, not as f*****g weird as his one in Tango & Cash but then nothing is that weird.
The cyberpunk ideas in the film are hit and miss given the rapid advances of communications and computer technology that have come on since this was made in 1992. It actually would be interesting to see this re-visited, post Ghost in the Shell to see what would get made considering what can be done on a small budget today. Certainly character 'deaths' could be handled somewhat differently given the potential for cyborgs to broadcast themselves into new bodies and hack their opponents.
But I digress, this is a decent little sci-fi actioner. Not sure I'd upgrade to that £60 german set for the bonus materials however as i'm not that big a fan. Oliver Gruner is a terrible actor unfortunately and has a hard time carrying the film. Its fortunate that Pyun managed to land Tim Thomerson as the villain as he really brings it on every picture.

Nemesis 2.

Thankfully ditching Gruner, Nemesis 2 stars Sue Price, a female body builder as Alex. A young woman taken from the future because she carries DNA that spells the end of the Cyborgs. Raised by an African tribe a Cyborg assasin comes back from the future to kill her and she must fight for survival.
Essentially a cross between Rambo and Predator but done with no money the film is mainly Alex running through the desert, occasionally fighting rebels and the Cyborg assasin. Once agin it makes the most of what its got to provide a distracting 80+ mins of action.

Nemesis 3.

The outtakes and some additional scenes cut together with a bit of new material to make another film. Good to see Tim Thomerson turn up again who is by far and away the best thing in this otherwise middling effort. Once again some decent action but this feels like an even cheaper cash in of a series that's already pretty low rent. Still it came in the box set. I'm now dreading the fourth film.