View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2015, 07:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Howling (1981)

When i was exploring video rental shops in my early years, The Howling was always a staple of the top shelves. It's brilliantly, terrifying poster leering out at me, challenging me to watch it. The problem was that the poster was always too scary. What could possibly be clawing at that poor woman behind that flimsy wall? Or was it in fact her who was doing the clawing? For quite a few years i have to be honest and say i wasn't brave enough to find out.

Now in 2015, some 30 years later i've seen the film. In fact i've seen the film quite a few times since those heady days of the video rental shop and to be honest although The Howling is a good film it's not as fantastic a film as that poster suggested to my scaredy cat younger self.

Directed by Joe Dante, it comes over a little tongue in cheek at times with a story line that isn't quite as engrossing as it could be. The idea of the hidden retreat populated by werewolves is a good one but it doesn't quite click, it doesn't quite grab you by the balls and squeeze them like the same years An American Werewolf in London, also a tongue in cheek horror film that is genuinely scary.

The Howling has some high points, namely Rob Bottin's state of the art, magical effects work. The transformation of man into monster one of the most gut wrenching effects ever filmed.The werewolf attack in the darkened room, lit only by moonlight cascading through the windowblinds is a tense set piece that's actually reminiscent of forties producer Val Lewton's terrific work with light and shadows.

The film is also well performed. Dee Wallace is a likeable heroine and it's always good to see the now sadly deceased Patrick Macnee in a genre production. Elizabeth Brooks as the leather clad Marsha is also a standout.

Where it fails, if it actually does fail, because as i said earlier it is a good film, is probably the story as a whole. It isn't quite as interesting as it could be, especially the middle third.

But wow...what a poster!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38c4ea699baf25e18a2a315c006f6362.jpg (97.7 KB, 4 views)