View Single Post
Old 27th July 2015, 11:56 PM
Cult Addict

I liked both the Babadook and it Follows. Thought Babadook was a little overrated but still entertaining.

Tonight I watched

Crimes of the black cat.

A blind man overhears a strange conversation right before his girlfriend is murdered. The only clue left behind is a yellow scarf. Being a Giallo, the blind man believes he's overheard a clue that will lead him to the killer. Meanwhile the murders continue.
This is a great Giallo poorly served with a poor quality transfer on the Italian DVD. In fairness it may be that's all they could get, given the terrible state of some of the negatives found recently. It's still worth watching as its pretty decent in its own right with some nasty murders and a decent plot.

Spirits of Death

Romano Scavolini, director of everyone's favourite video nasty Nightmares in a damaged brain, delivers a gothic horror that's part red blooded giallo and part outright slasher.
As a child Mariale witnessed the death of her mother and her mothers lover at the hands of her father, who promptly turns the gun on himself after gunning the pair down after catching them in the act. Growing up alone in a gloomy mansion she decides to liven things up by inviting some friends for the weekend. They all get loaded, dress up and have a party after exploring the house and as soon as the party peaks people begin to die in nasty ways.
Frankly, I think this is much better than Nightmares in a damaged brain. Its a gorgeous looking picture dripping with gothic atmosphere and a decent level of 70's Italian sleaze. The killings are quite nasty but not as outright graphic as Nightmare. Some people might complain that the murders are saved for the third and final act however I feel its reasonable as it helps create a genuine atmosphere to the film and once the killings start they come thick and fast. It goes without saying Camera Obscura's Blu-ray looks marvellous.

Come Cani Arrabbiati.

A fast paced, brutal and occasionally mean spirited Politicize that features three rich kids fed up with their fathers corruption and lifestyle who decide to go on a crime spree across the city involving Armed robbery, kidnapping, rape and murder. These kids mean business and its up to the beleaguered commissioner to stop them!
This is one thoroughly nasty slice of crime cinema with plenty of violence from beginning to end. There's lots of J&B on display and plenty of nudity as well. Its a damned entertaining picture but its easy to see why it got into so much trouble as its pretty strong stuff even given the period in which it was made (Though perhaps not as OTT as Contraband!) . While its not as good perhaps as Milano Calibro 9, it still comes highly recommended. Once again, Camera Obscura's blu-ray looks great.