View Single Post
Old 31st July 2015, 10:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

1966: Part 2

Blow Up - Set in London during the swinging 60's. Ending is somewhat strange but very much a product of it time. Michelangelo Antonioni's first English-language movie. Interesting!

Carry On Screaming - Not my favourite 'Carry On'.

Return of the Magnificent Seven - Yul Brynner returns with another six to fight more Mexican Banditos. Pretty much the same sort of thing really.

Don't Lose Your Head - This is more like it! One of my favourites. With Kenneth Williams as Citizen Camembert 'The Big Cheese!' The first film in the franchise not to have 'Carry On' in the title. All the regulars are here bar one or two.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum - Something funny may have happened but I think I blinked and missed it! Richard Lester's musical comedy set in Ancient Rome features comedy great Buster Keaton in his final role. A career that lasted 49 years!

Fahrenheit 451 - Dystopian sci-fi from François Truffaut, a classic! I can think of at least one book I'd like to burn......'A Kestrel for a Knave' by Barry Hines...I was forced to read this as an English assignment at school! Hated it!

Un Homme et une Femme - More French 'New Wave'. Its not a genre I particulary like, although this did feature some good motor racing! Winner of the Academy Award for Best Foreign picture 1966.

That Riviera Touch - Another Morecambe & Wise picture. Marginally better than their last one. It would become a trend over the next few years to see more TV celebs and comedy shows try their hand at the bigger screen. Not all would succeed, this would be a prime example.

Mondo Topless - A Russ Meyer 'nudie cutie'. Lots of swinging breasts....enough to give you a neck ache....or an arm like Quagmire!

The Blue Max - Its a little overlong but the flying sequences in this WWI drama make up for that! Read the book a few years ago and wasn't overly impressed

One Million Years B.C - Raquel Welch....Fur bikini....Dinosaurs!