View Single Post
Old 8th August 2015, 10:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
I don't think I've ever seen Barbarella. I have a funny feeling that we might have had Yellow Submarine taped on betamax. Mum really did love taping things, still does. She has enough tapes of Barry Manilow appearances to fill a skip. I remember having to watch Sally Jesse Raphael for weeks, months for an upcoming appearance of the Manilow just so she could record it an add to her collection.
'Barbarella's still a really cool movie.

With all this Manilow talk you've reminded me of a disturbing childhood memory, also involving someone's mother. Mother in question belonged to my eight year old friend. She (mom) was a Barry Manilow obsessive. She was also known around our small town for being a bit... erm... 'histrionic'. One day friend and I were in his kitchen playing some weird game involving melting an action man's face when his mother burst through the door in complete hysterics, screaming that Barry Manilow had just been assassinated! We basically had to comfort her for two hours as she sat in a chair, head buried in hands, gibbering about how America had lost its one true hope for salvation to the Argentinians! (this was around the time of the Falklands war). She then made my friend stand on the window ledge whilst she hid behind a sofa, explaining that she wasn't ready to be interviewed by the journalists who were on their way to the house to ask her about what had happened to her mate Barry. "Son, could you please keep an eye out for them and send them packing? I'm too distraught to even contemplate receiving them." When my own mother came to collect me she dropped everything and acted completely normally. I'm not spinning an anecdote at the expense of someone's mental illness, as I don't think she was unwell in any 'classic' sense... she was very unpredictable but deliberate about what she did on this and other occasions, and was generally quite manipulative anyway.