View Single Post
Old 8th August 2015, 11:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
That is bizarre. An old boyfriend told me about an essay he had read to do with fandom, Manilow fans are apparently among the most bizarre. One of mums Barry friends (they've actually stopped communicating with her due to her behaviour) was way too obsessed with Barry to the point that her husband left her. I really can't imagine how she reacted to the news that he's married his manager Garry. Speaking of the Falklands, my mother stocked up on tinned corned beef, I found boxes of out of date corned beef in the wardrobe years later - at the time it didn't click.

My mum is on the obsessive side. She was in the fan club, there was a convention each year that she would attend before the UK fan club closed down. One year there was a fancy dress costume, she made a costume - it was a sheet of music.....I am in possession of this costume. When he was on tour in the UK she would got to London, Manchester, Sheffield, Cardiff I think, he was usually on two or three nights and she would go to them all, it wasn't a cheap hobby. One year she was sat in front of the Nolans.

Incidentally she went to one of his concerts when she was 8 months pregnant with me. I came out early.....there's certainly a connection.

Having said that I do love an odd Barry tune and unlike my mother I can actually remember the lyrics which unbelievably she can't!
Jeez, the eighties were pretty dark, weren't they?
Sitting in front of the Nolans... stocking up for the Falklands nuclear holocaust! My friend (another one) filled an entire cellar full of water bottles, convinced that the world was gonna blow any day. Quite heavy thinking for a kid.
That sheet music dress sounds cool.