Old 1st September 2015, 08:51 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
A girl walks home alone at night.

Like a mixture of Jim Jarmuch, Eraserhead and Abel ferrarers The addiction, AGWHAAN is a strange, occasionally surreal love story to cinema, music and love. Set in the strange netherworld of 'bad town' a grotty out the way burg some place near the Iranian oil fields a young gardener is struggling to make ends meet. He has a nice car, which he spent over five years saving for and...well... that's about it. His dad is a Junkie deep in debt to a local hood who comes to collect one night and takes his car. Heading over there he gets to the dealers place not long after a headscarf wearing vampire has offed him so he takes his car back, as well as all the cash and drugs. Things seem up until one night he's wandering home E'd out of his gourd and encounters the strange vampire girl and things progress from there. I suspect we'll be seeing one or two negative reviews up here as this is not a film for everyone. It has a strange night time feel, like mystery train or Only lovers left alive, I'm genuinely surprised it has an 18, because one or two parts aside I'd have classed it as a 15 as its not outrageously violent. The black and white photography is sublime and the soundtrack is wonderful as well. I would urge anyone with the opportunity to give this one a try.
I rented this a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Like you say, it looks superb and really benefits from the minimalist setting, dialogue and exposition, making the audience think and do the work. In those respects, it reminded me of Let the Right One In, which has a similarly dated and bleak setting, ambiguous relationships and doesn't spoonfeed the audience. It's definitely one of the best horror films so far this century and one I'll buy very soon.