View Single Post
Old 1st September 2015, 10:00 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

13 EERIE

More bilge courtesy of the Horror Channel.

A class of forensic science students are taken to a body farm to complete a practical exam in the field. The problem is, there are more corpses than there should be, then some of the corpses start to move...

There is a lot to like in this film if individual elements are taken from the whole but sadly budget, woeful pacing and flat direction stop it from inducing anything but indifference in the viewer.

This is one of those zombie films that plays out like a slasher film in structure due to a minimal cast and, I imagine, the vast majority of the budget going on its Fulci style zombie attacks. They are impressive too with multiple eye stabbings and gouging to the fore. Hell, it even has zombies bursting rather finely through floorboards to attack. The film is old style gore heavy as the three or four zombies pick off the six or seven cast members. The zombies themselves look like the bastard offspring of the Toxic Avenger and the corpse from NECKROMANTIK and have a very Italian gait as they go about their business. At times, the film plays like the jungle scenes from ZOMBIE FLESHEATERS but set in a bleak, arse end of winter location covered in stunted trees and dead grass.

Rereading the above makes it sound pretty good even to me but as said, the pacing is awful and never shifts out of second gear so that highly impressive, blood soaked scenes of carnage are delivered with the same intensity as a scene where two characters discuss what they are having for their tea! Sadly, nothing in the film is detached enough from its own reality to give it, for want of a better phrase, what I like to call 'looking through Frankie Teardrop's eyes syndrome' whereby the very flatness of the film combined with the pacing creates a hole in the fabric of consensual reality, leading the viewer into an alternative dimension within their or possibly another's psyche.