View Single Post
Old 8th September 2015, 06:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Viewer discretion is advised some of the below contains bad puns and may upset viewers...

Unfriended

When I saw on the cover the guy was behind Oujja and The Purge, I had very low expectations as I disliked both of those immensely. Also this type of film is also not usually my thing so I was pleasantly surprised,while certainly no ground breaking best film of the year or cinematic masterpiece this is a very enjoyable film that does not outstay it's welcome. It doesn't offer much new in terms of revenge nor does it confirm for sure whether the tormentor actually was a spirit seeking revenge or a warped internet troll. However it does drum home 2 messages 1. Facebook is bad news as just like in real life it has led to many murders,rapes & life wrecks. and 2. Don't trust anyone! 7/10

The Boy Next Door

Cliche Atrocious Borefest with Jennifer Lopez as a "cougar" who ends up with a nightmare on sesame street after big bird makes the mistake of sleeping with a deranged Muppet Gonzo, What comes next is the usual that we've seen 50,000 times Gonzo doesn't appreciate being spurned and proves he is unhinged and a bad loser in love. Nothing we haven't seen before,it offers nothing new whatsoever and has an extremely annoying actress that sounds like Sharon Osborne after abusing Laughing gas. absolutely pointless,if you're not asleep by the end you'll be mourning the loss of 86 minutes of your life "ain't it funny" how these things pan out! 1/10

Eaten Alive

I never liked Texas chainsaw Massacre, I never knew what was so fantastic that 99% of the population think it is some kind of holy grail. It is slow boring and dated (I know I know but we all have 1 "huge" film in horror everyone loves and you don't!) Anyway welcome eaten alive a totally different Beast with an impressive cast and some hilariously bad lines. Neville Brand mutters psycho babble before feeding his motel guests to a croc,Robert Englund has a short lived appearance & Mel Ferrer arrives on the scene at least if Plan H doesn't work we can go with plan B!

Arrow's Blu looks stunning the colours are fantastic and pop the red scenes now look blood red not washed out like a sons & daughters sepia frame where you expect a scene to end with "Love is very strange it can come and go.." when arrow gets it right it really gets it right. The film is odd but a "scythe" for sore eyes on this blu 6/10

Nightbeast

E.t's stool sample with teeth arrives with a hologram gun stolen from a space invaders arcade machine & starts taking pot shots turning a town's resident's into lilac and pink silouettes before they disappear some cheap gore which doesn't look bad for the budget,this is fun if not taken seriously. 4/10

Morturis

Gory excellent homage to the likes of Fulci,lenzi & Bava with a wink to the spanish Blind dead series. As always being a Synapse release Blu Don is a perfectionist with quality and as always with synapse you know a fantastic transfer is a certainty. 7/10

The Omen (original)

We've all seen it the kills still look good especially Warner's demise with the lorry and sheet of glass,Bruce Boa turns up briefly at the party at the beginning well done on him for not asking gregory peck for a waldorf salad. 8/10

I love this film it is underated and harshly hammered by some critics. Samuel Jackson warns John Cusack that room 1408 of his hotel is really not a wise choice for his stay in order to get experience for his new book. Films like this one and Carpenter's In the mouth if madness as well as others seem to have a hatred for the Carpenters song "we've only just begun" I doubt their managers would of been "on top of the world" about that! 8/10

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (remake)

half remake half sequel. Not bad it attempts to go back to the slasher style appreciated in the 80's but it's average at best but it was good to see American Horror Story's Dennis O' hare turn up. 5/10