View Single Post
Old 11th October 2015, 07:35 PM
Cult Addict

Sicario

I have to admit to being somewhat sceptical about this film going in. I had awful visions of later era Tony scott with stuff like Domino or even that awful Arnie film Sabotage by David Ayer. I'm actually pleased to say director Denis Villeneuve has taken a pretty decent script and really delivered a brilliant little movie that needs to be seen. It stars Emily Blunt as a federal agent working in phoneix and finding her job is involving more and more mopping up after the Mexican cartels, after a grisly raid on a safe house she is enlisted by shady Josh Brolin who is working with the silent but deadly Benicio del Toro. Blunt has reservations going in that get deeper after illigal trips across the border to detain suspects and things just keep getting darker from there.
There is non of the hyper kinetic nausea inducing editing of a lot of films of its type, instead Sicario delivers long beautifully shot takes courtesy of DP Rodger Deakins. Blunt is terrific as the agent in well over her head and Del Toro quietly steals each scene he's in leading up to a quietly horrifying climax. The film feels like the better sort of stuff that hollywood was producing back in the 70's and it has that cynical world weary attitude throughout. The soundtrack is excellent and adds a moody, rumbling tension to the whole film.
Go see it!