View Single Post
Old 14th October 2015, 09:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
I always preferred this to the other rape-revenge thrillers out there. The rape-revenge thriller has always been morally questionable in that they seem to think an admittedly horrific act justifies further brutal acts (The Last House on the Left being an obvious exception).

But Ms. 45 doesn't judge - it simply portrays. This is probably due to, as you said Frankie, Ferrera's arthouse sensibilities.
Good points. I'm always a bit dubious about 'rape-revenge', but somehow I never see 'Ms 45' in the same kind of light as many of its ilk... I don't know why. I know I made that point in my review about Ms 45 not having much psychology about it, and it doesn't in a 'realistic' sense, but on the other hand it at least focuses on and spends time with the lead character (who is magnetic), and you kind of feel part of her world... other films, like you say, use character (and events like rape) as plot devices, it all feels more external and objectified , therefore sticks in the throat a bit more, maybe.