View Single Post
Old 15th October 2015, 10:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Starring Paul Stephen Rudd!

A mean-spirited film. I get that they were aiming for a Friday the 13th approach, but whereas the violence in those films have a comic excess, Halloween 6's gore is needlessly sadistic.
SPOILER:
The way poor Jamie Lloyd was dispatched was too cruel.

SPOILER:
Also, ending the film with the the strangled scream of Dr. Loomis and then smash-cutting to "In Memory of Donald Pleasance" came across as rather ugly.

All said and done, the film is watchable in a weird way. Probably because it's a bizarre mess of film. It is funny that the film's climax takes place on the set of Ridley Scott's low-budget nightmare. And Donald Pleasance is as wonderful as he always has been. Shame this was to be his major role.

If you haven't seen this before, it's worth checking out. If only to see how far the slasher film had fallen before Scream give it a kick in the arse.

P.S. Any reason why Halloween 5 and 6 were released to straight to video over here? I know they weren't critical darlings but it's not like they were US box-office disasters (especially when you consider their low-budgets). Halloween 5 I can understand as it was independent film that may have had trouble securing distribution but, Halloween 6 had Miramax behind it. The whole thing seems strange.