View Single Post
Old 8th November 2015, 08:50 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Killers (1964)
8389.jpg

First time I have seen this film and thought it was fantastic. A gritty crime thriller starring the always brilliant Lee Marvin and the sassy Angie Dickinson as the main protagonists along with a brilliant performance by John Cassavettes. The film without spoiling too much is about two killers (Marvin and Clu Gulager who I thought was mesmerising as a child like cold blooded killer who obviously enjoys his job...a little too much) who are contracted to kill Cassavettes, but when the hit turns out too easy cue flashbacks and breadcrumbs that led to why.
hqdefault.jpg

The film involves a lot of brutality for its day, hanging women out of windows, slapping / punching women in the face, torture scenes to get information, cold blooded kills and a great dialogue.
the-killers-pic-2.jpg

In the making off Dwayne Epstein (wrote Lee Marvin's biography) talks about how Tarantino took the quick witted dialogue of everyday things that you see between Travolta and Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction, from the conversations that Lee Marvin and Clu Gulager have throughout this movie. In between conversations about hits they exchange information about vitamins / holiday resorts.

I also did not know that Lee Marvin in his own life probably suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome form the second world war, feeling guilty about 240 out of 247 of his platoon being killed and him feeling guilty all his life about surviving! hence the alcoholism and an attraction to violent roles. Lee Marvin for me epitomises screen presence and I love to watch his films. The only weak link in the film is Ronald Reagan, who is not that bad but he is starring alongside some screen greats and this exposes him. Apparently Lee Marvin was a real nice guy off screen and always liked honesty and was upfront and got on with everyone but never liked Ronald Reagan as he said he was full of bullsh*t.....no surprise there then!

This film was originally just made for t.v in the USA but released over here in cinema's and won Lee Marvin a BAFTA!

A cracking film, excellent interesting extras on this arrow release and brilliant picture quality. Highly recommended.
the-killers-2.jpg