View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I also have the German Blu.

Yeah, I get the whole re-appraisal of films / self-confessed moron thing. my next review to be posted in the Noir thread is actually for Brighton Rock, which I first watched when I was about 13/14 and didn't think much of it - in fact I found it quite boring. Now having re-appraised it almost 10 years later I realise what a fantastic film it really is and I want to travel back in time and slap my 13/14 year old self... however that can be said about so many things and I'd probably be suffering severe brain damage at this point in time if my future self had been able to go back and slap my past self for various acts of stupidity.
But, it's a nice feeling too. As you get older, you get wiser and have experienced more. Only then does such a film become relevant to you.

Back when I was a child, I loathed 2001: A Space Odyssey. I thought it was boring wank for boring wankers who failed space academy.

But, in my late teens, as I was struggling with my religious identity (I was Catholic but I'm now atheist), I saw the film again and I loved it. I hesitate to say I "got" it, but I understood what Kubrick was doing. Here was a film that chronicled man's struggles with science, faith, and evolution.

I needed to have lived to truly watch 2001. And, I like that. Revisiting these films tell me that I'm becoming a "better" person as I get older.

Then again, I still laugh at Deuce Bigalow so maybe I'm talking out of my arse.