View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:41 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
But, it's a nice feeling too. As you get older, you get wiser and have experienced more. Only then does such a film become relevant to you.

Back when I was a child, I loathed 2001: A Space Odyssey. I thought it was boring wank for boring wankers who failed space academy.

But, in my late teens, as I was struggling with my religious identity (I was Catholic but I'm now atheist), I saw the film again and I loved it. I hesitate to say I "got" it, but I understood what Kubrick was doing. Here was a film that chronicled man's struggles with science, faith, and evolution.

I needed to have lived to truly watch 2001. And, I like that. Revisiting these films tell me that I'm becoming a "better" person as I get older.
It is a nice feeling and I think tastes always evolve - I hesitate to say 'mature' as that almost implies that you leave a lot of your childhood favourites behind and replace them with more 'adult' fare, which definitely isn't the case.

In the case of 2001, luckily(?) I only managed to catch it when I was in my late teens so loved it from the outset. I think if I'd caught it early teens / pre-teens I probably would have had a similar reaction to you initially did and it would have been a struggle for me to revisit it despite the amount of praise it got from others around me.

I don't necessarily see myself becoming a 'better person' as I get older (the opposite in many ways most probably) more so that my tastes have broadened as my horizons have also. I grew up with 4 (later 5) terrestrial TV channels, a small video rental store and a couple of local cinemas. Now I have the world wide web of rentals/streaming/shopping as well as many film related forums, blogs and review sites at my finger tips so the amount of film information and product available to me is monolithic and I do enjoy drowning in this excess whenever I get the chance, what with film being one of my primary enjoyment outlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Then again, I still laugh at Deuce Bigalow so maybe I'm talking out of my arse.
I can get pleasure from obscure Japanese art-house cinema to fart jokes on Family Guy and a vast amount in between so as long as you're enjoying the experience of what you're watching at some level then I say it's all good.