View Single Post
Old 1st December 2015, 05:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default I Confess (1953)

I Confess (1953)
Interesting Hitchcock movie that gives us the old Colombo routine, A man is seen dressed as priest leaving a lawyers house,Ovila Légaré as Monsieur Vilette, only scene of him is him lying dead on the floor. Later on the killer O. E. Hasse as Otto Keller , goes to confession and knowing the priest, Montgomery Clift as Fr. Michael William Logan cannot inform the police he tells Father Logan it was him that killed Vilette. Only trouble is Logan has his own reasons for wanting Vilette dead,and soon becomes chief suspect in the murder case.For Hitchcock film this is fairly straight forward noir thriller,we know who has really killed the victim,and we know that Logan can't tell the police,so as a viewer we have to squirm in our seats when the police suspect the wrong man,and all the time the real killer is scott free. And there lies its strength, the viewer like Logan cannot do anything about his situation due to his circumstances and Karl Malden as Inspector Larrue is chasing the wrong guy, Ironic that Montgomery Clift dose a film about blackmail and deceit considering he had a few skeletons in his closet during his short life, and although his character is the main lead,he is'nt really given enough to do,he just tends to stare into the middle distance allot looking either gloomy or wistful,he is an extraordinary actor but his character is kind of boring really, I imagine he probably needed all his method acting skills just to get the part off of the page of the script.Im afraid this is not one of Hitchcock's better films,its fairly pedestrian in direction and has no lighter moments (perhaps if we had caught Logan wanking while looking through a peep hole) even Psycho had its moments humour in it .A lesser Hitchcock ,movie I'm afraid but worth a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Montgomery_Clift_in_I_Confess_trailer.jpg (43.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 4703_front.jpg (93.0 KB, 2 views)