View Single Post
Old 10th December 2015, 09:48 PM
Cult Addict

Watched a few bits lately.
Escape Plan, Stallone plays Ray Breslin a security analyst who basically makes a living testing the security of prisons by going in undercover and breaking out.
He takes a job going into a new maximum security top secret government super prison. Only someone's set him up and once in he's cut off from the outside world and left to rot.
He teams up with a fellow inmate by the name of Emil Rottmayer played by another obscure 80's action star by the name of Arnold Schwarzenegger, you may have heard of him.
Vinnie Jones does his usual nasty British hardnut thing as head guard and Jim Caviezel plays the warden.
All in all a reasonably entertaining actioner that for me unfortunately all starts to fall apart in the last 20 mins.

Hawk The Slayer
Weird 80s fantasy adventure.
Pretty crap really, but in a good way.
Evil wizard Voltan decides to kidnap a nun. Demanding a ransom.
The nuns seek help from hero and charisma vacuum Hawk played by an American actor called John Terry who i vaguely recognise from other stuff. Hawk sets out to recruit a band of warriors to aid him, a witch, a Giant, an Elf, a Dwarf and a crap guy with one hand.
This motley crew go off to raise the ransom money needed.
Turns out though that Hawk and Voltan happen to be brothers and they already have major beef with one another. You see Voltan has been seeking the secret of their fathers power for years and ended up killing the guy. He also killed Hawks missus. Did i mention this guy was played by a manic Jack Palance and he just seemed to like killing people?
Populated by a whole bunch of famous British actors this comes across as a sort of Carry On film if the team ever decided to tackle the fantasy genre. Only there's not really any jokes. Bernard Bresslaws Giant (read 'tall bloke') is probably the most amusing character and his relationship with the Dwarf (yeah, 'short bloke') is probably one of the best things in the film. The Elf, named Crow is also an interesting character, think micro budget Legolas. The special effects used to make him shoot arrows fast is priceless.
The music is all over the place, an odd mix of disco and Tangerine Dream lite techno.
I enjoyed it but I'm not sure its particularly recommendable.