View Single Post
Old 19th December 2015, 04:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Christmas Horror Marathon #15

X-Ray (1982)

Also known Hospital Massacre, X-Ray is, like Halloween 2, set entirely in a hospital where a killer is on the loose.

Directed by Boaz Davidson who i would think is now best known for producing action films, X-Ray is a slick pacy example of the slasher genre. The hospital setting allows for a heady build up of panic and hysteria as the lovely Barbi Benton (Yes she has a gratuitous nude scene) is stalked by a madman donning surgical robes. There are gorier examples of slashers out there but Davidson does well at generating suspense and then keeping it without allowing the film to sag once the killing spree begins.

Some of the characters are typical cliches as are some of the set pieces but Benton does well with a role that isn't that well defined. Although X-Ray has much to praise and i did enjoy it a lot at times i was left thinking that is just so unlikely to happen especially the general goings on of hospital life. To begin with it's corridors are poorly lit and the lack of doctors and nurses on the wards is ridiculous, that's just for starters. I could go on and reel errors off - at times it was that bad.

Never the less X-Ray is a fun example of the slasher genre although not quite a top tier performer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xray.jpg (77.2 KB, 2 views)