View Single Post
Old 28th December 2015, 11:23 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Where is this available from? Its appeared on a number of best of 2015 lists. Unfortunately I didn't manage to see it at Fright Fest or any of the Halloween festivals it played at.
I think its been on demand... somewhere. Should be getting home video release some point in 2016.. I saw it at Grimmfest.

Killer shrews 2 (aka Return of the killer shrews)

Essentially a continuation of the 50's B movie where dogs in crappy costumes attack people on an island. Here one of the surviving actors from the first movie boats a crew of bitchy, self absorbed reality TV stars to the island only to discover the shrews are still alive and as mean as ever.
Think SYFY level production values and you will have a good idea what to expect. Dodgy accent, hot girls, gore and lots of CGI shrews. The shrews here look even worse than in the original, the CGI makes them look something like evil toons, there's a neat twist in the story for all five fans of the original and while the film is utter shite, it has a car crash quality to it that really makes it watch-able. It also helps that there is two other films on the German blu-ray as extras.

Millennium bug.

One of the extra films, this is actually fairly decent. It starts off as a backwoods horror as a family are captured by hillbilly maniacs intent on marrying and raping the daughter, it then morphs into a creature feature as a giant prehistoric bug errupts from the ground and begins killing!
There is absolutely nothing original in the film and the acting sucks but i actually found myself enjoying this one. It helps that most of the effects work is practical rather than CG which helps endear the film to me. Its also well paced and lacks any real dull moments. For the right price this one is well worth checking out.

Night claws.

Third film on the killer shrews disc. This one is a bigfoot movie with some added crime and action stuff thrown into the mix. Essentially a sheriff is hunting down the killers of two teenager only to discover bigfoot at large. Meanwhile some hikers run afoul of a team of mercenaries hunting down the Bigfoot.
Frank Stallone is the biggest named star in the film which should tell you all you need to know about the acting. Once again we get a lot of practical effects and some nice gore effects which help sell the film as something at least worth a watch.

The Wolfen

Albert Finney Stars in one of the blandest werewolf films ever made. Its not a bad film per se, the idea of shamanic shape changers and werewolfs living among the almost apocalyptic ruins of late 70's early 80's new york are neat ideas. The locations are suitably eerie. We get an early role for the great Tom noonan and Albert Finney is always great. However, given that this is around the same time we got The Howling and American werewolf in London it really feels like an almost-ran. That said the blu-ray release looks terrific and its not a bad film as such. Just go in with expectations lowered and you might enjoy it.

Scream & Scream again

Gordon Hessler directs this frankly odd little slice of British exploitation. It feels very much like two separate films welded together. The first is a Vampire movie set in swinging london as a young man picks up birds in clubs and drinks their blood, meanwhile in another part of Britain we get a post apocalyptic drama of a sinister government agent taking over the reins of power and coming across as another stalin. This bit isn't especially well explained. Is it the North of England that's gone totalitarian? London seems to be as normal, is it Europe? Anyway both plots join together that actually somehow works in spite of being bat-shit crazy. More so it has something to say about how everything we create seems to become a weapon.
As messed up as the film is its enjoyable enough and crazy enough to sort of work.