View Single Post
Old 29th December 2015, 03:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Wolf Creek 2

I really enjoyed the first Wolf Creek film when it came out and thought Mick Taylor was a great baddy character, so I've been keen to see the second instalment since it came out. Why it took me so long I don't know, but hey ho.

The film starts out with a short but completely brutal opening scene and a hard hitting torture killing and from there descends into even deeper madness. Mick Taylor steals the scene whenever he appears, but I didn't enjoy watching him as much this time. He was almost a parody of himself, and they've introduced a sexual motive for his kidnaps which I don't think was touched upon in the first.

I felt the first film played well with claustrophobic aspects, but the sequel makes more use of the wilderness of the Australian outback and has some pretty far out over the top scenes which could only ever happen in extreme isolation.

The film builds up and builds up and, I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but ended, I felt, on a real anti climax and I was disappointed. Overall I enjoyed most of the film but not for the story this time, more for the action and the gore. It lasts 1:45 which is a wee bitty too long for something as brutal and bleak as this. The senses can only absorb so much!!