View Single Post
Old 29th December 2015, 10:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Cat Girl (1957) Part of Networks 'The British Film' Collection. It starts out a little like 'The Old Dark House' (1932) with literally an old out of the way house in the middle of a storm. Barbara Shelley has been invited to take up her inheritance by her Uncle, unbeknownst to her said inheritance also includes the family curse, that of becoming a cat, (or leopard in this case). Not physically becoming the animal more a joining of minds! Anyway the action moves to London when Ms Shelly is institutionalized by the Doctor she has the hots for. However the Doc's girlfriend is in the way and so Ms Shelley attempts to do away with her so she can finally get her claws into her man. But not all go to plan! The films a little slow and has been done since and better. The highlight of the movie is Shelley's turning from frightened women to scheming feline being reminiscent of her turn from frightened women to hissing vampire in 'Dracula Prince of Darkness' (1966).
I liked this version of Cat Girl. It's not as good as Lewton's but what is?

I thought Shelley was excellent especially the street stalking that i think you refer to above. As for it being slow? No slower than so many other genre films of the era. Especially when you consider there wasn't any horror cinema in the fifties prior to the film's year of release.