Thread: Comedy Film
View Single Post
Old 4th January 2016, 02:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default School for Scoundrels (1960)

School for Scoundrels (1960)
For years I was on the precipice of a dilemma,what was my favourite Ealing comedy? was it the brilliant The Ladykillers (1955) with its top class cast of actors or was it School for Scoundrels (1960) with its top class cast of actors,well I have now decided its the The Ladykillers (1955),not because I think its better than School for Scoundrels,(there fairly equal in my opinion) the reason being is that School for Scoundrels isn't an Ealing film after all. ( years of ignorance,how I hung my head in shame),but I think calling School for Scoundrels an Ealing film is the highest praise any film could get,its witty,sharp and takes a swipe at British society,whether its a pompous jobs worth like senior clerk, Gloatbridge played by Edward Chapman (Mr Grimsdale) or the upper class Lothario Raymond Delauney (Terry-Thomas). Ian Carmichael as Henry Palfrey is a nice likeable middle class chap,but he seems to be always on the back foot,being a total victim to seedy car salesman,insolent employees and generally a door mat to all and sundry even head waiters at restaurants,played with much class and aloofness by John Le Mesurier as the Head Waiter who stands as the gate keeper in a posh French restaurant.
Ian Carmichael as Henry Palfrey plays upper class idiots like no one else,apart from Hugh Laurie that is,so its no surprise they have both portrayed Bertie Wooster. Combined with Alastair Sim as Mr. S. Potter who runs the "School of Lifemanship" in Yeovil, A place where gentlemen learn to get one up over there rivals in all areas of life,whether its love,sport or cooking the books at work,they have subjects for everyone. Terry-Thomas as Raymond Delauney is Henry Palfrey's main rival,especially for the affection of lovely Janette Scott as April Smith,and Thomas is at his most tricky and cunning,this must rate as one of his best roles. ( factoid Basil Brush was based on Terry-Thomas persona). School for Scoundrels may be a bit old fashioned humour wise,but its such a satisfying film,with a great outcome and a sort of happy ending.Now I got to decide which is my favourite Boulting Brothers movie.

out 0f 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg janette-scott-terry-thomas.jpg (96.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg school-for-scoundrels-1960.jpg (96.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg scoundrels-bow-tie.jpg (93.5 KB, 1 views)